Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I’m Burning I’m Burning I’m Burning For You

I’m Burning I’m Burning I’m Burning For You

Current mood:accomplished

So I am a pyromaniac, sue me, LOL! But seriously folks, when I bought my house, I was not aware that you could burn your waste rather than bundle it by the roadside. When I did some major clearing here after purchasing the property, and the garbage men would not take the waste because there was too much of it, my neighbor at the time suggested burning it. Alas, a new hobby was born.

I burn all of my yard waste with an occasional fire...usually me and Lori in the back yard...or me, the dogs and a 12 pack, LOL. When I was burning my stumps in the front yard, it got a little more social as neighbors and passersby would stop to enjoy the fire. I really liked that social aspect, and to some degree was a little sad when the front yard no longer demanded to be burned.

I have been collecting a little debris, so I decided to burn last week...BUT Lori had work obligations, so I thought I would invite a few people over. Well, I second thought that because of Loris schedule and decided to put it off a week, and invite more people...and ended up turning it into more of a party. I think this is just what the doctor ordered. So many people enjoy a nice fire, but cant have them where they live. You cannot burn in the city limits here, but you can in the county. I am fortunate that my house is the first house on the line...walk out my front door into the city, and to the stop sign in the city, but my house physically sits in the county, so I have all the benefits of city living with all the perks of country living.

We got a plethora of food and drink together...I supplied the beer, soft drinks and mixers, as well as eggplant parm, lasagna , raviolis and Italian sausage and peppers. The guest brought fantastic foods...meatballs, dips, chips, jalapeno poppers, slaw, PIZZELLES and much more, as well as plenty more to drink.

What was kind of neat about this soiree was that it was the first time my worlds had collided in one place...my Flagler people never really come to the house because it is so far away, my old friends dont know my Flagler people and my neighbors just know me, so this was great that my neighbors, old friends and Flagler friends were all in attendance. I dont think anyone got a picture of me without a smile on my face.

I started the fire at 5:00 with a handful of people there. The staging area was an old futon we had. This was the first piece of furniture that Lori bought brand new. Right after she bought it, it became damaged and the repair was difficult, so we kept putting it off. Finally, I decided that it had brought too much strife to life and it needed to be sacrificed. I find it very very cathartic to burn the things that give me grief, because then they cease to exist any longer.

After the futon ignited, I had construction debris, yard waste, felled tree limbs, sheets of 1/2 inch and 3/4 plywood and all manner of burnables. I was not sure if I had too much or not enough, but it was more important to me to have a BONFIRE not a CAMPFIRE, LOL.

We got a really nice OOH AAH factor from the queen palm fronds. I would fold them in quarters and throw them on the fire and the flames would go as high as my roof! That would make the surrounding areas as bright as day, LOL. Great time to take natural light pics. Kim and I both threw our old bills in the fire to be consumed and lost to existance. Good riddance.

(Surveying the flame height, LOL!)

I

I was really concerned with how the dogs were going to handle things as we have never entertained at the house before on this level. It was wonderful to see them stay right near the crowd and not run off or be a pain. Foster was happy to have people to fawn over him and play ball, and Tiny was inclined to come out and survey the crowd, then go lay on the couch, LOL!

Later in the evening, Randy suggested jumping over the fire..and did so several times, as well as walking over the fire. I ended up leaping the flames a few times, and at one point, Randy and I jumped over hand in hand. He asked me my plan, which was merely " I'll stay right, you stay left", LOL.

Jay and Gustavo were driving up from Miami so we talked them into swinging by...still plenty of food and fire, but the fire could have been waning, so I got the truck and made a 30 second wood run...at the end of my street I have a endless stack of seasoned cut oak. We ended up making 2 runs before the night was over.

They brought their dog, Bif, and it was fun watching Foster and Tiny assimilate to another male canine in the house...and Bif was asserting dominance. It was cool...they ultimately work it out and were all playing together nicely.

Here is Jay and Foster with Bif in the background having a snack.

We ended up staying in the yard enjoying the fire until about 3:45. Cleaned up and slept, then got up the next morning to clean up. Pleasantly, there was NO garbage or mess in the backyard at all...just one beer can and a fork...other than that, everyone either burned their mess or found the cans/bins.

Amazingly, after burning ALL of that debris and all that firewood, there was absolutely nothing left to show for it...not even that much ash. Fire is a simply amazing thing when you study it. Cathartic, entertaining, relaxing and thought provoking. Everyone seemed to have a good time, and even Lori suggested we should do this more often.

Looking forward to the next bonfire already! Thank you to all of you who were a part of the fun this time. More pics are available at my MySpace photo album.


No comments: