Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rex In Effect

Rex in Effect

Sunday morning, I was dragging myself out of bed, getting ready to take the dogs for a walk. Lori had been babysitting Ashton overnight, so she was loading him into the van to take him home. She called me from the cell and told me not to let the dogs out as there was a stray dog in the front yard. I went out in the yard to see a wonderful tan colored dog at the van. He was friendly and personable, OBVIOUSLY someone's dog, but obviously not being taken care up...very skinny and skeletal. He was jumping in the van and sitting down with Ash, much to his delight, and very happy to be seeing us. Not being able to do anything about it at the time, and not sure if the pound was open on a Sunday, I suggested we go about our business and see if he finds his way back home. Tying him up or taking him away may defeat that.
Well, he found his way to my neighbor, who cannot have dogs. I came home late that night and heard him bark, so I knew he was around, but he did not approach. Next morning I looked and found him still around, so I figured, given the chance to leave he did not, so I began befriending him. He is the sweetest dog, but very undernourished. I gave him food which he devoured. He is so very obedient, and understands territory really well. He needs to get some meat on his bones.
I checked with my brothers, and neither could take him...checked with Lori's sister and she did not seem interested. I could not figure his breed out, then it dawned on me that he may be a Catahoula, just like Foster, only a different variety. He has the same lines, and some crazy beautiful eyes. His age I am unsure of, but his pink gums and nose and balls high and tight show his youth. I actually considered keeping him, but reality is, my house is full enough and I don't know if I am up to committing to a third child.
Thankfully, Jacky, Lori's daughter, and her boyfriend Steve came by and fell in love with him. They went and got Steve's kids and when they loved him, he found a new home. This makes me very happy. Jacky was walking him and someone commented that she got herself a Catahoula, so that confirms my suspicions were on target. They are naming him Rex, and if he is half the dog Foster is, they are going to be just fine. Found dogs are the best, especially when they find you.

No comments: