Blog Archive

Saturday, May 6, 2006

Closing the PO Box...

Another milestone from the past to get by...

Current mood:melancholy

I have a bill on my desk to pay...or not. It is for a post office box.

It seems at some point after our trek to Florida, my father had a problem with someone leaving a popsicle in our mailbox, or something similar to that effect...and my father also had some issues about privacy, so he secured a post office box at the local mail station. This was probably about 1968.

In 1985 or so I got my own post office box in the same building...

Since I had been taking care of my mothers affairs before her death, I have been checking both boxes, and after her death, one thing niggling the back of my brain, the most smallest detail, was that one day I would have to close that mailbox we have used since 1968.

Today I have that bill on my desk to pay, and I have to decide to close it or sentimentally keep it open for another 6mos or a year. I actually thought about keeping it and changing my address, but I love the fact that I have had the same mailing address since being on my own basically...

It is minutae, I know, but the sentimentality of it all has me waxing a bit nostalgic today, and the inevitable lack of payment to the post office resulting in the closure of the po box will also be some closure to the past 37 years or so... I have already redirected most of her mail to my address, with the exception of the bank statements from her checking account...another chore I have to handle soon...closing the bank accounts.

I suppose sometime soon I should really finish clearing her house out. I kind of put that to the side. Nilsson spent the night in there while here and assures me there are no ghosts, LOL!

No comments: